Thursday, January 12, 2006

S&C: Day 14

I hate memorizing lines. It's the most difficult part of the work, for me. I envy the ease with which many actors, often younger than me, seem to memorize text. Alas. The task would be easier if my brain didn't turn sluggish, and my will resentful, at the very idea of doing the rote work of drilling text, but it does. Grrrr. It's like trying to clear my windshield of sludge with old windshield wipers.

So, that was how I spent much of my day yesterday. I have a monster speach of 45 lines, which puts me talking on stage for at least five minutes straight (the piece begins with, "Hold thy desperate hand/Art thou a man, thou form cries out thour art.") Now, I've been on stage without exiting for over an hour, and I've memorized up to 60 pages of back-and-forth dialogue, but I've not had a monologue of this length, before.

But, I AM more or less off book, after spending yesterday on it. Good enough.

Today, we begin the third week of this program. Week one was "Basics." Week two was "Dropping In." Week Three is... I haven't the foggiest. Text work, I think. My brain is soggy and I don't remember, so I guess it's just going to be a surprise. I can't believe that I'm still here, voluntarily, at that. This is about as close to Shakespeare Boot Camp as it gets.... Okay, maybe that's a bit rich. But, you get the picture.

The day off yesterday did me good. I can write in full sentences, at least.

More, anon. Much more.

5.5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I generally do well with lines, but I have my own process and sometimes other people don't like it. This may sound trite, but the key is repetition. I never really "study" my lines, only a tiny bit just before putting the thing away. Aside from that, I just read the script a lot. It doesn't feel like "working" lines, it's just reading. With that and the rehearsal process, they just come through osmosis. This tends to get me off book late, but I'm learning to start the process longer before rehearsals start. The only exception was Iago, the length of which forced me to "study" the lines constantly, even continuing through the run of the show.

jason