Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Banquo: Progress Report

I'm not so happy with my work in Macbeth so far. Stilted, punching consonants, not letting vowels breathe, getting stuck in back of throat, jaw tight, sibbilants sometimes sharp but often not, not letting myself go because of fear of feeling hammy. The atmosphere in the rehearsal room is not conducive for working, either; for taking risks. Too much chatter--even snickering--heard from actors chatting on the side lines as those in a scene try to work. It's difficult to allow oneself the vulnerability that comes with letting loose hightened language with the hightened physicallity required, and a little respect from the peanut gallery would help. A lot.

Too tight.

UPDATE: I hasten to add that I have been as guilty of rehearsal room chatter as anyone else.

5

4 comments:

Trevor said...

Yeah, Shakespeare can take an adjustment period. I'd suggest looking deeper at how you can relate what's going on to your own experiences, relax and totally enjoy the whole process. You're playing a character that fellow actors have played for hundeds of years. How cool is that, that you can be part of that?

Oh, and I can't stand people who disrespect other peoples' work. They're usually the least talented/secure in the bunch. I like to try to find a way to use their energy to fuel my own character.

Break a leg!

David Loftus said...

What did you think of my "hamminess" Monday night, David? Did you get any sense of its effect upon the onlookers?

Trish Egan & Harold Phillips said...

I can totally relate to the "chatty rehearsal room" syndrome. I've never understood why actors can't just clam up and let the work happen that needs to happen during rehearsal - if you feel the urge to talk, step outside. Otherwise, focus on the job at hand and keep your yaps shut!!!!!

Sorry... pet peeve of mine. You have my sympathy, David...

Sokrates said...

Well, let me apologize for any contributions I've made to the rehearsal-room peanut gallery! While I try to respect the actors who have the floor, I'll admit I've probably slipped from time to time. For one thing, I'm often too polite (for lack of a better word) when fellow onlookers try to chat with me -- i.e., I listen to them (or try to) when I should either ignore them or ask them to be quiet. (I'll admit I have a hard time with the latter, even when it's what I really want to do.) But I promise to make a better effort, good Banquo!

I wish we had more rehearsal time but realize we can only work with what we've got. Being more focused on the work at hand is a good idea. Duly noted!