Thursday, May 11, 2006

Voice Training

In voice class today Theresa worked with me on some of Banquo's text, more or less in the same way that we work on musical text. And this is my discovery for the day: Shakespearean text doesn't FULLY reveal itself--either its music or its meaning--until an actor has the technical proficiency to let it. When I support my voice from my diaphram, let go my jaw, and aim for the vowels, the text suddenly wriggles free of my own lesser, intellectual analysis of it, and surprises me. When that happens, I don't have to work hard. The text speaks itself.

In rehearsal for MacB a couple of days ago, an actor said he never does vocal warm ups, because he talks all day anyway, so that's enough. This same actor is utterly pedantic about intellectually constructing the verse the 'correct' way. Of course, his dramaturgy shows in his performance. I have difficulty listening to him, as no matter how correct he is in the meter, his gargled delivery repels my ear.

More voice training, people. More voice training.

5

3 comments:

per said...

i agree, voice training and warm-up is deffinetly important. altho i myself sometimes skip the warm-up, sometimes i find that the voice warm-up can be boring. but its very usefull, i notice it everytime i do it. and everytime i dont.

Trish Egan & Harold Phillips said...

Couldn't agree more, David (hey, wer're agreeing this time!).

No matter what type of warm-up you use, it's downright crucial for me to do something to loosen up the ol' tip 'o th' tounge, roof 'o the mouth, etc. Yes, it makes your "instrument" better tuned to perform... but almost more importantly, it grounds you in the here and now and gives you the opportunity to shed the dross you've collected throughout the day so you can be utterly grounded on stage.

Yes indeedee.

iziezi said...

Random comment:

I love your Photo Album, you are an excellent photographer! Thanks for adding the link!