Thursday, June 29, 2006

Auditioning

I often see actors audition successfully for parts in which I knew they would not be quite right; that is, their performances would disappoint their director and audience, as well as me. They audition strongly and rehearse poorly. Now, there is no real surprise or dishonor in this. Audition skills--as we know--are particular, and any performer who has them deserves a nod of respect. But, I am surprised that directors don't necessarily see what I see in these performers, and, in truth, in my own auditions I've been hugely overly reliant on what I've been thinking of as the director's ability to see--to have a sixth sense for--how some performances will inevitably grow in rehearsal, and how others will never escape the hard, bright, pushed, brittle presentation in the audition room. By depending on my assumption about a director's 'sixth sense,' I've been hoping s/he would see in ME what I see in ME; that they would understand my own rehearsal process before they'd ever been exposed to it. Bad boy. I'd be better served by not asking directors to read my mind.

So, I need to risk being hard, bright, pushed and brittle in audition, myself.

2 comments:

Signore Direttore said...

Maybe you need to risk being something you're not in order to win more parts. Or perhaps you need to rely on the more organic process you're developing and wait until it has caught up with the "bright and shiny" that wins more parts.
It's a small market, if you stick around and stick to your guns you'll likely have your cake and eat it, too. If you force things, you may sacrifice the connections to your more authentic self that you've worked so hard to allow.

Erin said...

There's always a chance the director was looking for something about which you were unaware; something they saw in these people they cast that they did not see in you or the other people they did not cast.

We all have our own perspectives, and there are more things unseen than seen in the world.