Saturday, August 12, 2006

Failure and Spiritual Honesty?

Thinking about my last 18 months of blogging, I see that one particularly salient theme has been--to put it generally--my personal, spiritual growth through the work of being an artist. But, to put it more specifically, it's been about how my spiritual growth has been spurred by being a bad artist, i.e., one who has worked hard but without the kind of worldly, outside affirmation that comes with success, so that I've never been able to forgo honest, self-exploration; being not-successful has kept my feet in the spiritual fire (though, hopefully, of coure, I WILL in time graduate to 'good' artist and glean some spiritual reward from success; that'd be sweet.)

I'm thinking that this is worth a longer, more self-contained essay than a blog. Failure--honest failure, the kind that comes with trying hard to succeed--is a theme to which we don't pay just attention.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Write it! Write it!

Marsha said...

Being successful doesn't really have anything to do with being a good or bad artist. Success for the most part happens accidently. You are in the right spot at the right time. I'm thinkin a good artist is someone who continuously strives for improvement and A BAD ARTIST could care less. There are successful bad artist and successful good artist. Judging your goodness or badness by your outward successfulness is practically a waste of time. I always made "A's" when I wrote papers. :)

SamA said...

Excellent point. Nice to have writers read your blog.

carlo95 said...

Being an artist is always something personal.You don't say you are an artist because you want other people to notice you, you just become one eventually through self-actualization and self-eploration. When you know yourself well enough it is easy to just release your artistic energies.