Saturday, October 21, 2006

THE TEMPEST @ NWCTC

THE TEMPEST opened last night to a full house. Christy Conant has done a great job of creating a lively, fast-paced show. As a first-time director of Shakespeare, she's leveraged her previous training and experience in comedia to make this a well-built, physical production. Our cast includes acting new-comers and veterans alike, which in a way, might make the show even more accessible, less threatening to those in the audience who are new to Shakespeare. And the audiences are enjoying it. In preview, we had a few six-to-eight year olds absolutely doubled over in hysterical laughter at the Trinculo-Stephano-Caliban drunk scenes (if you can pass the six-year-old test, you have it made!)

And, I'm actually... 'relieved' to have the chance to play Caliban. Now that we've opened, I feel as if I began acting only so I could get to do this part; or rather, I've been waiting to do this part so that I can finally start acting; as if I had to get it out of the way. My long-time blog readers will know what I mean.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Congratulations! Wish I could see it. Keep breaking your legs, man! ;-)

Trish Egan & Harold Phillips said...

Good to hear that you're feeling good about the show. How long do you run? Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it after Jingle Spree closes at CoHo.