Friday, February 09, 2007

The Revised Slate

First choices (I'd be equally happy in any of these programs--from what I know coming out of interviews--and they all remit tuition and pay stipends):

• Alabama Shakespeare Festival/Alabama State U.
• ASOLO/Florida State U.
• Cleveland Playhouse/Case Western U.
• National Theater Conservatory/Denver Theater Center

Equally attractive, but give only partial scholarships and no stipend:

• UMKC/Kansas City Rep
• Brown/Trinity Rep Consortium
• Southern Methodist University

Very attractive, but will cost money, and as a new program has some risk involved:

• U. of Houston

Another program that I liked, because I liked the guys who run it--and they were very positive about me--is U. of N. Carolina Chapel Hill/Playmakers Repertory Theater. The trouble there is, they have guys my type in the professional company and they didn't know how I'd get on stage in main roles. They were openly enthusiastic about my work, though, which was refreshing on my last day of auditions.

The one program that I would be hard-pressed to try again is U. of Tenn Knoxville/Clarence Brown Theater. It was literally impossible to communicate with these people. I literally couldn't FIND them, they don't return phone calls, the Head of Acting exudes apathy in his email, the online admissions process is mangled, and in the end I paid them $35 to apply but never got an audition/interview. Trust me, I tried to get hold of them. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this program is on hard times. If anyone has the skinny on it, let the rest of us know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UMKC DOES cover all costs.