Monday, May 28, 2007

DW: Day Five

We wrapped our main location--my loft--at the end of day five on DANGEROUS WRITING. I'm far less exhausted at this point than I was at the end of day three, on our first weekend. It seems to be going well. I say "seems" because I see little of the monitor--which is a good thing--and I look to Neal, Dennis, and Jordan to see if they're happy, and they seem to be. I do visualize these shots in my head. These long one-shots have a lot going on in both foreground and background, between which the action moves, and often there is activity for your eye to go to in both the fore and back grounds. A lot of this story unfolds in this visual way, taking in all the actors and the setting of any shot, which, frankly, covers some acting sins as well as refreshes the eye, which may be weary of having had so many close ups crammed down its cornea by Hollywood filmmaking. Aislinn and I feel only okay about our work in a couple of scenes, but the frame and dynamics of these shots is working in a way that shifts the balance of viewer attention away from those moments we feel we could have better connected with one another; when we could have been more genuinely engrossed in the given circumstances.

I do feel solid about my work in an earlier scene we shot, one in which Ezra begins to unravel. I seem to be better at more quickly getting absorbed in given circumstances when I'm in a scene alone, or if not actually alone, not involved in intimate give-and-take. Listening and really being there with another actor remains a weakness for me. I'm much better at it than I used to be. Much. But, I'll definitely have something to work on when I'm in Houston (added note: I think I DO often connect well with my scene partner--partly because I have had scene partners comment on the ease of being on stage with me--but it's taking me too LONG to get grounded, in early takes, when I'm working with another actor. So, what I want to acquire is efficiency.)

The crew was great yesterday, too. I love seeing Neal--my director and friend--enjoy himself on set, and then after the day wears long and he gets tired, watch him allow himself to settle into the fatigue and choose to trust what's going on around him. From reading his blog post of yesterday's experience, I see that it went better for him than did the day before, a day which challenged everyone on set. I like being on a set on which everyone--I mean everyone--is consciously learning, and committed to doings so.

No comments: