Friday, May 04, 2007

UH Performance Season 2007-2008

The Head of Acting at the U. of Houston, Jack Young, has sent the incoming MFA Acting class (graduating in 2009) biographies of the class and announcement of next year's performance season. There are ten actors in the class, representing a wide range of experience, from just out of college--with a lot of stage credits--to many years in regional theater, including work at The Alley Theater, Second City, and Milwaukee Rep. The class includes seven men and three women. It looks like a group from which I am going to learn a lot.

Plays we will perform next year are:

BELOW THE BELT, by Richard Dresser
ARCADIA, by Tom Stoppard
GOOD PERSON OF SETZUAN (Tony Kushner's adaptation of Brecht)
PICASSO AT THE LAPIN AGILE, by Steve Martin

I am not guaranteed a role in any of these shows. I don't seem to be the only man in my age range in the incoming class (I think there's one guy a few years older than me,) so I'm going to have to work for it. The only surprise in the season, for me, is that there's no Shakespeare (frankly, having recently done three Shakespeare plays in a row, I don't mind the break,) though I'd bet a year's tuition that I'll be spending next summer at Virginia or Texas Shakespeare Festival, judging by the current job placements of the graduating class of 2007.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting my classmates! I can't wait to work with people who are all committed to the process and actually want to do better theater! I've worked with wonderfully committed people, in Portland, but I've also worked with people who were less than 100% about what they do, which we all know is draining. No one is going to role their eyes at my warm up routine in Houston!

No comments: