Thursday, June 14, 2007

Monologues, Monologues, Monologues

I am way behind in my preparation for UH. Of the approximately 50 books and plays I'm supposed to have read before the start of the term, in August, I've read 17; of the 180 monologues I need to have typed up and put into a notebook, I have 50, and as I venture further from plays I already know, the going is getting slower, since I can't just pluck a monologue from a play I've not read. So, I'm trying not to panic. Today, I'll hit the library and re-learn speed reading. My lap top will make things easier, since I can find a carol, speed read plays, and type in credible-looking monologues as I happen on them. Or, that's the plan, Stan....

It just occurred to me that YOU--Dear Reader--may be of help, especially those of you who know me. Suggest monologues, especially in the categories of "Rock The House" and "Small But Beautiful," which are two of the four categories I need to fill (the other two being "comic" and "serious,") in both contemporary and classical modes, in both one and two minute versions. Here is the full list of categories I'm trying to fill out, with ten monologues in each category:

cont/comic 1 min
cont/drama 1 min
cont/small but beautiful 1 min
cont/rock the house 1 min
classical/com 1 min
classical/drama 1 min
classical/small but beautiful 1 min
classical/rock the house 1 min

cont/comic 2 min
cont/drama 2 min
cont/small but beautiful 2 min
cont/rock the house 2 min
classical/comic 2 min
classical/drama 2 min
classical/small but beautiful 2 min
classical/rock the house 2 min

greek 1/2 min

three-minute everything

prose and translation pieces

I've already learned something about myself by discovering which categories are EASIEST for me to fill in--contemporary serious, classical serious, and classical comic--which, I think, reveals my greater comfort with playing high-status-and thus emotionally armored--characters. The 'low-status' characters in Shakespeare--e.g., Launce, Malvolio (low playing high), Tom Bedlam (i.e., Edgar, high playing low)--feel more accessible to me than contemporary ones (though I do have a feew of them, notably, Doolittle, from PYGMALION, Mr. Klemper from THE BOYS NEXT DOOR, and one of Bogosion's down-and-outers,) since there is some emotional-shielding in 'style.'

Anyways. This is what I'm up to at the moment. This, and a lot of long walks.

No comments: