Friday, July 13, 2007

Here Goes

Of the 180 monologues I was assigned to have chosen, typed up, and bound into a notebook, I've hit 100, and with some guilt, am calling it quits, for now. I'll pay for it later, when I'm digging for monologues while I'm in classes and rehearsals for 12 hours a day, six days a week, but, oh, well.... I've also gotten through about two-thirds of the reading list, at which I'm still chipping away, but with less urgency. I've covered the major themes.

Other homework I need to do in the next couple of weeks include preparing audition material and studying for roles in ARCADIA, PICASSO AT THE LAPIN AGILE, BELOW THE BELT, TRESTLE AT POPE LICK CREEK, and THE GOOD PERSON OF SZECHUAN. Well, okay. Maybe I'll just prepare the first two, which are being cast in the next few weeks, and which have roles that seem to have my name on them (i.e., Bernard in ARCADIA and Freddy in PICCASSO...), since I'm the older guy in the UH graduate ensemble. I'm also working on my BRITISH STANDARD DIALECT, which I find difficult, but, which I'm also enjoying, because the verbal mask seems to be liberating. It's as though I'm hearing someone else talk--it's not me; or rather, it's not the part of me with which I identify--and my internal censor relaxes. Cool. I'm going to think a lot about masks while at UH.

One other task I've completed: I've prepared the verse and chorus of a song to perform acapella in front of the entire UH Dept. of Theater and Dance, on August 20th. Bloody hell. Acapella, no less. Well, I've prepared a simple song--"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"--which will show my vocal qualities, at minimum. It will also show that without a piano under me I can't stay in the right key, but, oh, well. Here goes.

No comments: