Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Next Job

I must be off book on Henry IV and Complete History by June 1. If I memorize 50 lines per day of Henry, I should be able to do that in one week, and then do Complete Works in another week, which gives me week three to have both down cold. For me, this means devoting a large chunk of each day to memorization, because I'm not good at it. The upside is, I'll be in better shape: the elliptical runner is one of my favorite places for working lines. I also need to dig into the research on Henry, which I'm eager to do.

A quick glance at the script for Complete History calms me down a bit. In a preface, the authors note that it works best if played relatively straight. I can do that. I'm beginning to think it's going to be a LOT of fun. What a great summer I have ahead of me.

A bonus: the producers at Oklahoma Shakes have arranged a stage combat workshop in Rapier & Small Dagger and Unarmed through which participants can earn SAFD certification. So, by mid July, I will have improved my unarmed work considerably and picked up rapier & dagger.

Back in Portland, I'm picking up vibes that Made Crooked is getting closer and closer to completion. I'm proud of what I did in this film. Much of my work is awkward and clumsy, but a significant amount is truthful, challenging to the viewer, and scary. Neal A. Corl has worked hard on it and discovered much about himself as a filmmaker in the process. I can't wait to see it.

Lastly, I must be doing okay, these days. I've noticed lately that women are flirting with me, children smile back, and pets take comfort in my presence. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: