Sunday, June 08, 2008

Oklahoma Shakes Day Six

I had big ambitions for my day off but, alack, failed miserably at learning funny voices and getting off book. I felt groggy most of the day. In the evening, I went to a pool party, ended up at a waffle house at 3:30 a.m., and got to bed at 4 a.m. Bah. The party was mellow (no naked coeds as had taken focus at the last party, a week ago, the night before I arrived in Durant...). I spent much of it talking to a young woman who describes herself as a "regular carpenter" (as opposed to "master"), who is on stage only a little bit during this festival but by all inclinations is one helluva an actress. She also has an encyclopedic knowledge of 1960s and 1970s rock, movies in general, shoots a MEAN game of nine ball, is a great, ribald, robust drunk, and is slitheringly sexy. She also has a boyfriend and is 24. I'm heart broken.

A big part of my experience at OSF, so far, is being treated as... a lead by many of the actors. All kinds of little shows of respect come my way, such a different experience for me. I got a little of that when we did DANGEROUS WRITING, since I was the lead in that, but I've been a supporting player in just about all my stage work so far. The 'respect' feels good, too, because it seems to be emerging from the work I'm doing--people feel good about it (I feel pretty good about it)--and I most certainly feel respect for everyone else, in return (for those who have worked with me in Portland and Houston: yes, this is an indication that I've lightened up a lot, at least for now.) Is this what it feels like to be an adult in the world? Cool.

Today, we're shooting publicity shots. I'm bearded for Henry IV, then need to shave for CHAA. The directors haven't armed wrestle yet over whether I'll have facial hair during the run. Both shows play at the same time--alternating nights--so SOMEONE is going to get what they wan't, and someone isn't.

No comments: