Thursday, June 05, 2008

Oklahoma Shakes Day Three

Paul blocked Henry PART II yesterday morning. Today's the stumble-through. The cuts in the text he emailed to us further trimmed imagery and rhetoric not strictly necessary to the story, so that we'll keep it moving. A funny thing I noticed: at the beginning of the play, the lords and secondary characters on stage seem to be full-sized adults; by the end of the play, they seem to have become teenagers, some of whom are rather slight. The court of the new Henry V seems diminished as well as youthful, smaller but readier for adventure--a fortuitous accident that made me chuckle.

Today, we also finish blocking CHAA. Lord, I'm uncomfortable in this show, so far. I'm the 'straight man,' more or less, but both because Aaron is pushing us to "louder, faster, funnier"--an approach tailored to our local audience which would not fly in New York or San Francisco--I'm pushing, trying too hard to be funny--trying to match Adam and Todd, who are on stage with me--so you see me working, working, working. Aaron says that's what he wants for now, though. In a week or two, he believes I'll be more comfortable with the material and the approach, much of the strain will be eased, and I'll be able to back off here or there. Ultimately, I want to be a SLIGHTLY heightened version of myself, in this show.

G&Ds rehearsal was a bear. I've never sung in a chorus before. The four-part harmonies of "Don't Rock the Boat" and "Luck Be A Lady Tonight" are challenging even the experienced cast members, and I CAN'T DROP OUT, because there are too few bases. The balance is too light, if the bases aren't fully there. I'm most definitely learning to appreciate this music. I love hearing the chords built in rehearsal and the parts layered in and then the solos gently laid back in. It's work, though. This morning, my voice is roughed up... though, CHAA is more responsible for that than G&Ds.

Didn't get much sleep last night. Whoever is sleeping in the room next to mine turns in his or her bed all night long, the bed creaking loudly. I was more or less up until after 3 a.m.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm loving these daily reports. Thank you SO MUCH for taking time out of a super-busy schedule to provide them!

(But just in passing, the music-professor side of me has to whisper: "basses"; "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat")

Anyway, it's all fascinating. Thanks again.