Friday, August 15, 2008

Latest Revision of Big Ten

1)  Petruchio - Claudius  (mischievous/earnest - guilty/unrepentant)
2)  Henry IV - Polonius  (authoritative/insecure - paternal/selfish)
3)  Richard III (Act V) - Capulet (greeting guests) (megalomaniacal/self-hating - elegant/crude)
4)  Oberon - Tartuffe (animalistic/intellectual - self-righteous/seductive)
5)  Sir Peter Teazle -Caliban (disappointed/lusty - childlike/cunning)

 Alternate:  Richard III (Act I) (sexy/repulsive)

My current menu of tools from which I can work:

spacial relationships
floor pattern
architecture 
tempo/pace
level
kinesthetic response
shape
theme
comedic/dramatic
weight 
direction (in/out; up/down; front/back; sides)
movement quality (sustained - staccato, e.g., flick, dab, punch, skip)
vocal pitch and placement
dialect
qualities (adjectives, ideally encompassing many contrasts, expressed through accurate actions, not as 'moods.'  Be careful trying this at home, you don't want to hurt yourself.)
place
moment before
use of imagination/self
paraphrase
dropping in
Cicely Barry tools
scansion
play/character research (vote sheet type stuff)
body worlds (breath, bone, liquid, muscle, gut)
elements (earth, air, wind, fire)
subtextual stabs
decisions
realizations
actions
objectives

Recognize any of this?  This list is my training, to date, in a nutshell (from Shakespeare & Company and private coaches as well as from UH).  Remember, The Big Ten is an exercise in contrasts as well as practical preparation for upcoming auditions.  I'm not consciously using the entire above list, but at this point, I can choose from it, and the hope is that I'm using much of it somewhat instinctually.  

And most important of all?  In the next few days, forget all of this and just do it.  I heard you, Sam.

(note:  I park a lot of stuff on this blog that should go into a notebook or file.  It's easier for me to find here, though.)

1 comment:

Jon said...

So "this prick" (quoting your previous post) Petruchio is back in the running, after all? I dare say he's useful for contrast.