Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike Aftermath

Houston is a mess, though it's still here.  Galveston, while not quite a rumor of it's own existence, is nonetheless in much worse shape.  I'm lucky.  I have electricity--which means air conditioning, crucial down here--and a bath tub full of water with which to flush the toilet until the water comes back on.  If water service restarts sometime between now and late Tuesday I'll be okay.  If later, I'll be making trips down to the swimming pool for buckets of flushing water.  So many other people are struggling.  I'm not.

My loft apartment building is a renovated factory that looks tough and squat.  Nonetheless, when the hurricane hit between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Saturday morning, the whole structure shuddered, as if from an earthquake.  The sound of the wind was something like a thousand violins played with both wands and thick felt; sharp, yet muted.  Horizontal rain forced its way through my lanai door, soaking the wood laminate floor and ruining an oriental rug, which bled.  I never felt that glass in the windows or doors were in danger of breaking.  I slept through most of the storm.

UH is closed at least through Monday.

I drove across town this afternoon to rehearse a scene for class with Annie.  Driving home, I saw a long line in front of Whole Foods....  Hunh?  People going into arugula withdrawal? Myself, I have enough food for another three-five days, at least if I don't lose electricity.  There were also huge lines at gas stations, which give me pause, when I think about driving across town again for any non-essential purpose.

Mostly, I'm bored, but do have teaching prep and home work to do, so there's that.  I'll leave rescue efforts to the experts and do my own work.

2 comments:

SamA said...

Glad to hear your O.K. Cindy's family in Houston are fine, but I haven't heard from my old HS buddy in Galveston yet. Probably electricity and internet are keeping them from making a post.
Take care of yourself,
SamA

Dave said...

There are a lot of people who are struggling, and hit very hard by this storm. Thanks for building awareness and sharing your account of Ike.