Monday, June 28, 2010

Higher Education

  • Emerson College, BS, Journalism, minor in Creative Writing & Lit. (started as Theatre/Acting major but soon chickened out.)
  • Boston College, Philosophy (two incompletes short of an MA)
  • Lewis & Clark College, Counseling Psychology (one intro course, did fine, didn't like it)
  • U. of Montana, Creative Writing (proud of the recommendation by Ann Patchett)
  • Teachers College of Columbia U., MA (teaching high school didn't work out, ugh)
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (photography, still like to shoot, but was unhappy then.)
  • U. of Houston, MFA, Acting (finally came back 'round to first love!)
Teaching, writing, philosophy, photography, theater:  for a long while I was afraid these differing directions evidenced dilettantism.  Now I see them all as hesitant reaching out to shape the same urge, which is obvious enough to you reading this, so I will refrain from articulating too summarily what that urge is.**  In fact, I won't articulate it at all, but let the work that comes out of it speak for itself.

I've not found any of my training and education to be wasted.  The ear for language, eye for images, nose for (failure to make an)* argument, and instincts for action all both express and shape a usefully alert sensibility.

I think it will all amount to something someday.

Courage, people.

**They've also continued to be useful in a very practical way.  E.g., at Oklahoma Shakespearean Festival, I was simultaneously a lead actor, p.r. writer, and company photographer.  And when I'm A.D. of a company in ten years time, all these skills will be mighty handy.

*A pet peeve of mine is the habit of so many of us to jump to unearned conclusions!  I'm appalled by the lousy argument and toxically bad conclusions I hear reached every day, not only in public issues and other intellectual debate, but in our personal lives.  Oh, my lord, how we jump to conclusions about one another!  I recommend for everyone a hard shot of training in philosophical reasoning.  It's not necessary to remember the details, over time, if the habit of mindfulness one can develop in philosophy persists.

No comments: