Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Titus Journal

I've begun a working journal for Titus, something I've not done in a thorough way for a part before.  Blogger is useful for me here.  It helps me keep my thoughts organized by ordering them in an attractive fashion.  It's as if I'm my own audience and appreciate the presentation.

Because this is a working journal it will remain private at least until after the show has closed in October. Then, if it seems interesting to me, I'll share it in some form, either as a raw diary or pounded into an acceptable essay.

I have made a few discoveries.  I think Titus is to Rome as Colin Powell is to America, until Titus surprises Rome (in the person of Saturninus as well as the tribunes) with sudden savagery that reveals him also to be their Goth--their Golem (borrowing from elsewhere)--America's Lieutenant Calley or Conrad's Kurtz.  Then Rome ignores him.

Titus is lucidly mad or madly lucid:  mad enough to feign madness.

The great embodiments of Titus from which I hope to learn either first hand or through reports:  Olivier, Cox, Peacock, Sher, Hopkins.  They seem to canvas the possibilities that would make any sense to a contemporary audience.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Trevor Peacock! What a varied life he's had, huh? Writer of hit songs in the 60s ("Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter"), classical theater for the BBC (besides Titus, he did Feste and a few other things for that series, and Dickens and Goldsmith too), and lots of sitcoms (Vicar of Dibley, for starters). Amazing guy.

Kay Browning in DC said...

Keeping a journal is a good idea. I haven't done that in my film roles, but in each I make discoveries about myself and the craft of acting - progress that I build upon for the next role. I surprise myself sometimes. I was convinced that I couldn't tear up when a scene called for emotion - and have made a point of warning directors in advance - yet in my last film I was so into the character in one scene that I choked up on every take. A journal would help me analyze how that happened. It wasn't just that the script was emotionally moving. I touched something as an actor. BTW I envy your opportunity to do Shakespeare on stage.