Thursday, October 14, 2010

MFA First Years: Viewer Discretion Advised

Someone's been going through my old blog posts again... from my first term of grad school, in 2007.  So, I'd better put up a friendly "Viewers' Discretion Advised" warning. Jack's First Years, I'm talking with you:  if you're stressed out (as you probably should be), by all means, give my posts a quick read.  They're sure to make you feel less alone because I was not shy about describing the challenges of that first term.  But, I caution you against reading too leisurely or looking for information about what's coming up.  Knowing your next assignment is not only kind of useless but can be anxiety-inducing.  Go with the flow.  If you're feeling shaken just stay present and keep showing up.  On the other hand, if you're on top of the world and simply loving it, you should ignore both what current-me and old, in-the-thick-of-grad-school me have to say.  I found that first term challenging in ways you very well may not.

Grad training is a blast, though, ain't it?  Anger-tears? Dance Project?  And it goes by too fast.

No comments: