Tuesday, September 02, 2014

On Veritè and Theatricality

Is there a divide in taste between those who see tv and film as genres of theater and those who see theater and film as a distinctly different form of story-telling than theater? What's your taste? 

Increasingly--though by no means exclusively--I prefer some theatricality (so, I often like dramadies, "dramas written in comedic rhythms") over kitchen sink verite. I get bored pretty quickly by emoting fests. when I do enjoy actors emoting, I like sensing the actor enjoying the work alongside the character going through their moment, eg., Cate Blanchett, who's work is never entirely transparent, while still being thoroughly transformative.

For me, the work needs to feel 'lifted,' exuding something of a whiff more than mere 'aesthetic distance.'

No comments: