Thursday, June 09, 2016

Race & Gender Stereotyping in Commercial Casting


I understand specifying race and gender in casting calls for fictional works, in which ethnicity and gender may be part of the story (though I also think race and gender are far LESS often essential to the story than writers and producers think), but I'm running out of patience with specifying ethnicity and gender in COMMERCIAL casting (except in those cases in which the product is obviously meant only for a very specific audience, e.g., tampons.) In commercial casting, such targeting is racism by innuendo, and holds us back....

And yet, I also think extra efforts are necessary to bring more women and actors of color into all casting, so I perhaps I'm stating my objection to casting with gender and race in mind too strongly. I just hate the obnoxious stereotyping I continue to see in commercial casting, especially.

No comments: